People love to tell their stories. Unfortunately, this is all too true even for people who have just been arrested. Silence is golden.
Ask someone if they know their Miranda rights. Most everyone will say that they do, “It’s that thing that police say to people they arrest on TV. Right?” Ask that same person what those rights are. You will be lucky to get the full list. Take a moment to read your Miranda rights:
- You have the right to remain silent.
- Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
- You have the right to an attorney
- If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you.
- Do you understand the rights just read to you?
- With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to a police officer?
These rights are your first line of defense in a time of need when the deck is stacked against you. You have the right to an attorney and the right to be advised by that attorney before actions that can have life-changing consequences. Have you been arrested? Have your rights been violated? If you have questions about these rights, contact Hoke Law.